At some point in your driving career, you may find yourself in need of a tow truck. Here are some tips to avoid getting scammed in this time of need:
- When possible, use a towing operator pre-screened by your motor club or roadside assistance program to avoid tow truck scams.
- Never give a tow-truck operator permission to take your car if they were not called by you or by law enforcement personnel.
- Do not provide a tow-truck operator your insurance information
- Make sure all signs on the truck and documentation provided are identical and consistent.
- Whenever possible, have your car towed to either your home or a repair shop of your choice to avoid any storage fees or additional fees.
- Make sure you sign below the dollar amount quoted, not necessarily the bottom of the document.
- Always remove personal items and valuables before having your car towed.