As an employer and contractor, you must assess your work or workplace to determine if hazards are present that require you to wear personal protective equipment.
Among its regulations, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommends that you protect your:
• Noggin – Hard hats can protect you and your employees from head impact, injuries and electrical injuries such as those caused by falling or flying objects.
• Limbs – In addition to foot guards and safety shoes, leggings made of aluminized rayon or other appropriate material can help prevent injuries by protecting workers from hazards such as falling or rolling objects, sharp objects, wet and slippery surfaces, molten metals, hot surfaces and electrical hazards.
• Eyes and face – Besides spectacles and goggles, personal protective equipment such as special helmets or shields, spectacles with side shields and face shields can protect workers from hazards of flying fragments, large chips, hot sparks, optical radiation, splashes from molten metals, as well as objects, particles, sand, dirt, dust and glare.
• Ears – Wearing earplugs or earmuffs can help prevent damage to hearing. Exposure to high noise levels can cause irreversible hearing loss or impairment as well as physical and psychological stress.
• Hands – Workers exposed to harmful substances through skin absorption, severe cuts or lacerations, severe abrasions, chemical burns, thermal burns and harmful temperature extremes will benefit from hand protection.
How we can help…
By working with us at CNR and Erie Insurance’s risk control consultants, we can provide you with a variety of safety services for your business.
Erie’s loss control surveys, for example, are designed to help you identify the specific hazards at your business and recommend practical and cost-effective controls to reduce potential problems. ERIE can help you implement policies, programs, procedures, training and methods that will assist you in complying with applicable safety regulations.
Call us at 410-897-9890 to learn more about the comprehensive business safety services that are available to you as an Erie Customer.