You may think that just because your car is old or out of date, it is a lost cause and no one wants it. However, you may want to rethink the value of your vehicle. Some thieves target clunkers because they are easy to steal or the parts can make them a profit. Therefore, make sure you have the right protection before casting your car to the side as hopeless.
There are some tactics you can apply to minimize the risk of having your old car being stolen. Here are some tips to reduce the chances of old reliable becoming a target for theft:
- Many thieves know how to steal the older cars, especially since the ignition is so easy to break in to.
- Thieves may use your car as a source for replacement parts.
- Since older cars attract less attention from law enforcement, thieves have an easier time stealing them.
- Always lock your car and take the keys with you.
- Some cars become targets because owners leave valuable items in plain sight. Instead, take everything that is important with you so it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.
- Park in well lit areas near an entry or exit.
- Car thefts at home are on the rise, so increased awareness of your surroundings is necessary.
- Turn your front wheels and use the parking brake. This makes it more difficult for someone to drive off with it.
- Install an alarm system. This can deter theft, but only if it pages you when activated.
At CNR First Insurance Services, we hope these tips help you protect your old car for years to come. No matter how long you have been driving or how long you have had your vehicle, it requires insurance just as unique as it is. Therefore, having an auto policy can help protect you and your vehicle while saving you money on premiums!